A copyright is an intellectual property right for the protection of original aesthetic creations, such as literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works.
The representations of creativity in which copyright subsists are:
– graphic arts, publications, manuals, catalogues, drawings, advertisements, websites;
– industrial designs, engineering and architecture works;
– computer programs and games;
– paintings, drawings, sculptures, photographs, poetry, novels;
– choreography, screenplays, movies, broadcasts;
– sound recordings, songs, music.
A copyright comes into existence when the work is created. Therefore, it is advisable to have some form of documentary proof to establish when the work came into existence, should another person try to assert an earlier claim to a substantially identical work.
The protection conferred by copyright is narrow, in that it only allows the copyright owner to prevent direct copying of the work.
A copyright generally lasts for 70 years starting from the end of the year in which the creator of the work dies.
We assist our clients in the protection of software by filing it with the Special Public Register and other intellectual creations by filing them with the Italian Authors Society (SIAE).